Solidaridad Releases Benchmark Study of Environmental and Social Standards in Industrialized Precious Metal Mining
This bench mark study, which compares eight leading standards, focuses on the impact of precious metal mining—particularly gold. The emphasis of the study is the impact to communities and the environment. It was commissioned by Solidaridad and authored by Estelle Levin with the assistance of Amanda Stark.
These that were studied and compared were:
1. Equator Principles
2. Extractive Industries Transparency Initiatives Principles and Criteria
3. Global Reporting Initiative Mining and Minerals Sector Supplement
4. International Council on Mining and Metals Sustainable Development Framework
5. International Cyanide Management Code
6. International Finance Corporation Performance Standards
7. Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
8. Responsible Jewellery Council Code of Practices
Solidaridad has offered this study to the ethical sourcing jewelry community and the broader public. Their website offers a summary and a full down load of the report.
FJA is a forum open to a diversity of opinions in support of its mission. Any editorial expressed in this article represents the opinion of the author, and not necessarily the views of Fair Jewelry Action members.